- and can be switched from 6dB to 15dB tube boost. The second tube is used for the tube saturation.
De-Esser: The renowned SPL De-Esser subtly yet effectively removes offending sibilants by reliably eliminating only the “S” frequencies with its unique phase-cancelling processing technology.
Auto-Threshold ensures constant processing even with varying microphone distances. All you need do is to turn the knob until the sibilants are gone.
- Insert: The Insert (Send/Return) allows for insertion of external processors like reverb or delay or can be used to record the pure preamplifier signal.
Compressor/Limiter: This section is based on SPL’s Double-VCA-Drive® circuitry for outstanding noise and distortion characteristics. The compressor module is based upon the Kultube providing a full set of classic controls. We integrated Kultube's highlight, the signal-dependent automation of attack and release parameters which can still be influenced manually – with this option, manual and automatic control can be merged to always get the most effectively compression results.
3-band EQ with Air Band: The EQ section provides two semi-parametric filters for low and mid band as well as an Air-Band filter delivering a silky and smooth top end. The EQ especially optimized to process vocals, acoustic and electronic instruments allowing for both corrective adjustments and sound design.
- Tube Saturation: A tube does not clip but approaches its limits by increasingly producing harmonic distortions. The sound effects from saturating a tube can be used to fatten an audio signal or make it better cut through the mix. The sound results resemble tape saturation effects and increase the density and perceived energy in a very pleasant way.
- Analog Plugins: Each Frontliner module has its own balanced inputs and outputs. Sophisticated switching options allow to integrate Frontliner’s modules into a studio environment as if they were stand-alone devices. You can also group modules in any combination and you can determine inserts at each module’s input.
If you imagine the Frontliner modules as analog plugins, the additional value suddenly becomes apparent: this channel strip also is a versatile analog processing station. With one single unit, especially DAW based studios benefit from a first-class recording front-end and have access to high end analog processors.
- Star Ground: Central star ground wiring scheme minimizes influences that could affect the ground paths. The audio ground is separated from the ground of the remaining equipment. This leads, in the truest sense of the word ”clean”, to considerably improved tonal quality.
- Power Supply: The power supply is built around two toroidal transformers, one for the audio voltages and one for the other supply voltages (tube heating, LEDs, micro controller etc.) Mutual interferences are excluded and lavishly over-dimensioned capacitors ensure absolutely stable supplies for all audio circuitries.
- Options: Options include a 24/192 AD Converter and Lundahl I/O transformers.
Maximum input level
Microphone input @ 13dB gain: +9dBu
Line input: +22dBu
Instrument input: +11,5dBu
De-Esser input: +21dBu
Compressor input: +21dBu
EQ-/Tube Saturation input: +21dBu
Maximum output level:
Gain control ranges
Microphone input: +13dB to +68dB
Line input: -20dB to +10dB
Instrument input: +6dB to +43dB
Frequency range (-3dB)
Channel strip: 10Hz to 50kHz
Microphone preamplifier: ‹10Hz to 50kHz
Line preamplifier: ‹10Hz to 50kHz
Instrument preamplifier: ‹10Hz to 50kHz
De-Esser: ‹10Hz to 140kHz
Compressor: ‹10Hz to 180kHz
Equalizer/Tube Saturation: ‹10Hz to 60kHz
Common mode rejection
(@ 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Microphone preamplifier: ›80dB
Line preamplifier: ›75dB
Instrument preamplifier: ›75dB
Equalizer/Tube Saturation line: ›75dB
Total harmonic distortion
(in %, @ 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Channel strip: 0.03
Microphone preamplifier: 0.03
Line preamplifier: 0.03
Instrument preamplifier: 0.03
Equalizer/Tube Saturation Line: 0.01
Signal to noise ratio (A-weighted)
Microphone preamplifier (VU=30dB): -91.5dB
Line preamplifier: -94.7dB
Instrument preamplifier: -95.5dB
Equalizer/Tube Saturation Line: -91dB
Dynamic range (unweighted)
Channel strip: 110dB (microphone input › main outputs, @ 30dB)
Channel strip: 112dB (line input › main outputs)
Channel strip: 112dB (instrument input › main outputs)
Microphone preamplifier (@ 30dB): 110dB
Line preamplifier: 114dB
Instrument preamplifier: 105dB
Equalizer/Tube Saturation Line: 112dB
E.I.N. microphone preamplifier:
-127dBu (@ 68dB gain, Rs=150Ohms, 20-22kHz)
Two toroidal transformers
Audio transformer: 20VA
Transformer other currents: 15VA
Fuses: 230V AC, 50Hz: 315mA/115V AC, 60Hz: 630mA
Voltage selector: 115V/230V
Power consumption: 29W
Dimensions and weight
Housing (W x H x D): 482 x 88 x 261mm (Depth with controls and sockets)
Weight: 5,7kg/12,57 lbs (w/o converter & I/O transformers)
Note: 0dBu = 0.775V. Subject to change without notice.